Quick Facts about
Welcome to Camp Pinnacle! Below, you’ll find a few basic facts about camp.
We are deeply committed to our families and our mission: To ensure the safest, most substantive, and most exciting summer camp experience through our personal attention to every camper, our caring, and our competence.
Camp Pinnacle, established in 1928, is located on a wooded 126 acre campus surrounding our private, 20-acre Wolfe Lake in Flat Rock, NC. We are within 10 minutes of DuPont State Forest and 30 minutes of Pisgah National Forest.
Camp Pinnacle serves boys and girls ages 7 through 15 (completing the 1st through 9th grades). (Teenagers ages 13–19 may join our sister program, Adventure Treks, for outdoor adventure camps.) We have campers each summer from more than 35 states and 16 countries.
Camp Pinnacle offers two- and three-week sessions. Many choose to combine sessions for a four- or five-week experience. See our 2017 Dates & Rates here.
Small, personal size
Maximum session size at Camp Pinnacle is 175 campers—approximately 95 boys and 80 girls. A typical cabin group consists of 8–10 campers of similar age and grade with two counselors. Overall, there is a 1:3 counselor-to-camper ratio.
Campers participate in more than 40 different camp activities. Activities are scheduled to insure that every camper samples a wide variety of activities. There are also free choice and cabin choice activities so campers can improve skills in the activities which interest them most. In addition every camper gets to participate in several out of camp outdoor adventure activities including climbing a real rock, rafting a whitewater river, summiting a mountain, with an incredible view and camping out overnight and roasting s’mores
Program goals and guiding principles
- Physical and emotional safety is our top priority.
- Fun and exciting outdoor activities help campers grow and gain life skills and a greater sense of self.
- Our caring counselors take a sincere interest in the growth and development of young people.
- We encourage campers develop a lifetime love of the outdoors with a corresponding conservation ethic.
- We empower campers to create an inclusive and reflective cabin and camp community that maintains a culture of kindness, sense of humor, and spirit of cooperation and volunteerism.
- We strive to be a sustainable and responsive business, with a focus on our families and the quality of our programs. We form long-term relationships with our campers, their families, counselors, staff, and outfitters.
- Minimum age is 18 with at least one year of college
- Medically trained in Wilderness First Aid
- All new counselors go through an intensive hiring process with four interviews, three reference checks, and complete background checks
- All counselors go through, at minimum, 12 days of specific counselor training
- 1:3 counselor-to-camper ratio
- Many staff participated in our Adventure Treks Leadership Summit program
In 2016, 76 percent of campers returned to Camp Pinnacle or moved on to our Adventure Treks program. This is one of the highest two-week camp return rates in the industry.
All outdoor equipment (backpacks, sleeping pad, tents, cooking utensils, and group gear), food and snacks, and activities are including in tuition. There is no extra charge for special activities or out-of-camp trips. Not included is clothing and personal items, airfare (if required), and cancellation insurance.
We stand behind the Camp pinnacle experience. If 30 days after your camper returns home and you did not feel you received fair value for your tuition, we will return whatever tuition you think is fair, up to the full price of camp. This offer does not apply to a camper who leaves camp early or is expelled for behavioral reasons.
The $800 deposit is fully refundable (less a $50 cancellation fee) until December 31, 2016. The deposit is refundable less a $200 cancellation fee until March 6, 2017. After March 6, deposits and tuition are non-refundable. We highly encourage you to purchase cancellation insurance to protect our mutual investment in your camper’s successful summer.